Under the direction of the dining services manager, prepares and serves attractive and nutritious meals and snacks, assists in the supervision of dietary personnel and ensures that the kitchen area is kept clean and sanitary.
- Successful completion of Cook's Certification papers and Safe Food Handling Certificate.
- Minimum of Grade 12 education.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both written and verbally in the English language.
- Must be familiar with computerized on line ordering systems and dietary software.
- Must be familiar with long term care and ORCA dietary standards.
- Participates in and contributes to the continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) Program.
- Prepares foods for residents in accordance with sanitation and safety regulations, the planned menu, and methods best suited for the nutritional quality and appearance of the food.
- Assists with directing and training staff involved with food preparation and service.
- Receives, stores and controls products to be used.
- Implements portion control methods during meal service.
- Forecasts food production requirements on a daily basis, and plans for effective utilization of left over bulk foods.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the food preparation area and kitchen equipment.
- Prepares snack trays for daily functions
- Keeps the dining service manager informed of any staff member whose performance is less than satisfactory.
- Supervises the Dietary operation during the absence of the dining services manager, e.g. weekends
- Maintains effective communication, both written and verbal with co-workers. Uses the appropriate lines of communication with supervisory staff.
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
- Complies with other infection control protocols as directed, e.g. outbreak management.
- Complies with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Workplace Hazardous Material Information System, Food Premises Regulations, and LTC/ORCA dietary standards. This includes recognizing health and safety hazards, reporting incidents, fulfilling responsibilities under the applicable legislation, as well as participating in in-services and fire drills.